Patients who smoke, and are motivated to quit, are also given courses to help them stop smoking (smoking cessation). Feeling less breathless often leads to an increased quality of life.
Focus on physical activities are also important for us, and we also spend a lot of the time out-doors.
The four pillars of the Skibotn Method for rehabilitation are:
- physical activity especially accommodated to the level of the individual
- nutrition and knowledge about healthy diets
- stress reduction
- help to quit smoking
The rehabilitation is led by nurses, physical therapists, nutritionists, psychologist and physicians with special competence in rehabilitation and lung diseases.
Many people with lung diseases struggle with how to lead a good live despite of serious diseases which in many cases are progressive and sometimes life threatening. Knowledge about nutrition, activities in your daily life and learning how to cope with a difficult disease is a big part of the rehabilitation program.
The physical activity is versatile; with components like:
- Indoor training to music in the gymnasium
- Training of upper and lower body strength
- Activities in the heated pool
- Endurance training indoor and outside
During lectures, we learn about topics such as:
- Different types of lung disease
- Drug therapy in lung disease
- Breathing technique
- Techniques about saving your energy
- Physical activities
- Living with lung disease
- Stress management
The Skibotn model
In our well-established and trusted rehabilitation model for lung and heart patients, we focus on the four life style factors we can control; stress management, physical activities, smoking and nutrition. All of these factors are important in managing lung disease. We focus on the patients' own, individual goals. This is because we know that when the goals are your own, it is easier to be motivated to make the necessary changes. During the rehabilitation time, it is important to focus on the here and now, but also be aware that the changes that you make here, you will need to implement in your ordinary life when you return home. Our experience and results in this field are excellent.
We try out various kinds of physical activities in order for the individual to figure out what he or she likes and what is possible to continue with when you come home.
The nutrition is a large part of the rehabilitation, and both lectures, practical activities as well as giving you recipes which you can use when you come home.
Stress management is important in order to show how focus and awareness controls your mind sets and to enable you to become motivated for change.
The course in how to quit smoking is led by certified instructors.
Patient-empowerment and involvement
Through patient involvement, each individual influences his and her rehabilitation program. This is done in order to increase the quality of the rehabilitation.
- People with chronic obstructive lung disease level 1 or 2 (international guide lines)
- People with therapy controlled asthma
- People ACB or PCI surgeries without complications during or after surgery
- People with heart failure NYHA classification 1 or 2
- People with metabolic syndrome
- All patients must be screened and free of MRSA/ESBL and TBI